Book launch @ CeBIT 2011
Our book In-Memory Data Management: An Inflection Point for Enterprise Applications was launched on Tuesday, March 1st 2011 at "CeBIT, Hannover. This page summarizes our book-related activities at CeBIT, ranging from a visit of Angela Merkel to our presence at SAP's main booth in hall 4, where we answered detailed questions about the book throughout the week. A press release regarding the book launch is available for download here
Discussion with Chancellor Angela Merkel
During her visit on the opening day of CeBIT, German Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel visited SAP in hall 4, where Dr. Alexander Zeier presented the book to her and gave her a signed copy. Jim Hagemann Snabe, Co-CEO of SAP, showed the chancellor a prototype using in-memory technology, which was developed by our chair.
Panel discussion with EU Commissioner Neelie Kroes
Prior to the actual launch, a panel discussion with Neelie Kroes (European Commissioner for the Digital Agenda) and the authors was held on the impact of in-memory technology on industry and society at the Haus der Nationen. The session was moderated by Prof. Dr. Christoph Meinel.
Following the panel discussion, Dr. Heinz Weinheimer (Executive Vice President, Springer) outlined the importance of the book for Springer in his welcome address. Afterwards, Prof. Hasso Plattner
and Dr. Alexander Zeier answered questions about the contents of the book.
After the session Dr. Alexander Zeier unveiled technology details and the business value for the customers in an SAP TV interview.
(in German language)
Part I: On the Value of the In-Memory Technology and the Impact on Business Processes
Dr. Alexander Zeier gives insights to:
- The technological background levering recent innovation in hard and software
- Differences to the classical database approach
- How the technology can impact business and its processes
- Sample application in various industries
- Performance improvement for customers
- Futures architectures combining transactional and analytical systems
(in German language)
Part II: Target Audience of the Book, Pilot Customers and Future Directions
The second part of the video covers:
- How the book targets students, developers, and business decision makers
- Background of the In-Memory research including current and aspired results
- First experiences of businesses participating in a pilot phase applying the newly designed system
Book presentation at SAP's main booth
The book was also prominently featured at SAP's main booth in hall 4, where the presentation of the book was embedded into SAP's efforts to market in-memory as the topic of highest strategic importance at SAP for the years to come.